Associate Professor of Computer Science
University of Maryland at College Park
Brendan Iribe Center
8125 Paint Branch Drive #5214
College Park MD 20742
purtilo @ umd.edu
... on Computer Science
- There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
- People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear
satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play one forwards, it installs Windows.
- "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that they cannot be verified." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1865
... on College Park
- Institutions of higher learning have no place for free thinkers. In fact, here you must pay a lot to be allowed to think like everyone else.
- He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
... on Everything
- "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject." -- Winston Churchill
- "Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want
is also big enough to take away everything you have." -- Davy Crockett
- "Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Charles Chaput
- "If you don't go over the top you can't see what's on the other side."
-- Jim Steinman
- I slept, and dreamed that life is beauty;
I woke, and found that life is duty.
- Freedom is not free.
- Things to read, things to watch, questions to ask .
- Accumulated quotes, lest we would forget.
Commentary and Resources
- The EU's Ambitious AI Regulations: Increasing Trust or Stifling Progress? (2021-05-03, ClearanceJobs.com)
- FBI Reports a 69% Increase in Internet Crime in 2020 (2021-04-16, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Is a Dating Site a Security Concern if you Didn't Actually Sign Up? (2021-03-15, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Will Social Media Take Down Politicians Like Andrew Cuomo And Lauren Boebert? (2021-03-09, Forbes.com)
- Why Can't We Hang Up on India's Telemarketing Scams? (2021-03-01, NationalInterest.com)
- Chinese Tech Still in U.S. Networks Two Years After Calls for Removal (2021-02-26, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Your Data is Digital and Vulnerable to Tax Season Scams (2021-02-08, ClearanceJobs.com)
- A Data Savvy Workforce is a Key Strategy Needed This Year (2021-01-12, ClearanceJobs.com)
- The Lasting Headache of a Possible Breach of Classified Data in Capitol Riots (2021-01-11, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Deepfake Star Wars Videos Portent Ways The Technology Could Be Employed For Good And Bad (2020-12-11, Forbes.com)
- Social Media Proved Crucial For Joe Biden - It Allowed Him To Connect With Young Voters And Avoid His Infamous Gaffes (2020-11-17, Forbes.com)
- Cybersecurity Talent Shortage Calls For More Training and Better Hiring Methods (2020-11-17, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption (2020-10-16, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Using Government Devices for Self Enrichment is Illegal: USMC Bans Cryptocurrency (2020-08-27, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Guns protect people from criminals when the police can't (2020-08-12, Baltimore Sun)
- 2020 Serves up a Cruel Summer of Cybersecurity Threats (2020-07-30, ClearanceJobs.com)
- More Cybersecurity Spending Does Not Equal Results (2020-07-08, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Could Iran Wage a Cyber War? (2020-06-20, NationalInterest.com)
- Top 9 software engineer movies of all time (2020-06-04, Hack Reactor)
- Air Force Makes Classified Information Accessible for Teleworkers (2020-05-19, ClearanceJobs.com)
- The U.S. Military Might Have a New Way to Beat Iran's Missiles in a War (2020-04-28, NationalInterest.com)
- How White Hat Hackers Keep Military Systems Safe (2020-04-19, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Tech Industry Calls Out DoD's Cybersecurity Efforts (2020-04-10, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Do Government Agencies Have the Bandwidth to Handle Telework? (2020-03-26, ClearanceJobs.com)
- COVID-19 and Computer Security, Part 1: Telecommuting Risks (2020-03-12, TechNewsWorld.com)
- The Dark Art of Turning Mountains of Stolen Data Into Cash (2020-02-28, TechNewsWorld.com)
- How DoD's New Cybersecurity Rules Affect Government Contractors (2020-01-17, ClearanceJobs.com)
- TikTok's Deepfakes Just The Latest Security Issue For The Video Sharing App (2020-01-07, Forbes.com)
- Tech Skills in Highest Demand in 2020 (2020-01-02, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Top Security Breaches of 2019: Another Bad Year for Cybersecurity (2019-12-30, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Your Smart TV Could Give Hackers a Window on Your World (2019-12-06, E-Commerce Times)
- On Facebook A Military History Book Is Too Political (2019-11-27, Forbes.com)
- Does Negativity Drive Users Off Social Media? (2019-11-15, Forbes.com)
- NSA Wants to Help Private Sector, Increase Focus on Commercial Products (2019-10-21, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Adopt a Maintenance Mindset: Protect IT (2019-10-18, TechNewsWorld.com)
- Get Serious About Cybersecurity: Take Ownership of Your Personal Data (2019-10-04, TechNewsWorld.com)
The Rise of T-1000: Artificial Intelligence on the Battlefield (2019-09-09, ClearanceJobs.com)
Multi-Cloud Strategy May Pose Higher Security Risk: Study (2019-09-06, TechNewsWorld.com)
Can Nanotechnology Protect Military Equipment in Transit? (2019-08-13, ClearanceJobs.com)
- When Technology Makes Life Harder (2019-08-09, TechNewsWorld.com)
- U.S. Mayors Make Pledge Not to Pay Ransomware Hackers (2019-07-22, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Baltimore Held Hostage in 2nd Ransomware Attack (2019-05-10, TechNewsWorld.com)
- Military and Contractors Call in the Ethical Hackers: White Hat Hackers Still in it for the Money (2019-04-12, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Phishers Bait Hooks for Netflix, Amex Users (2019-03-22, TechNewsWorld.com)
- Is There Really a Cybersecurity Talent Shortage? (2019-03-21, ClearanceJobs.com)
- The Biggest Cybercrime Threats of 2019 (2019-01-11, E-Commerce Times)
- What to do in Case of a Cyber Attack (2019-01-01, NOLN.net)
- AWS Thinks Inside the Box With Outposts Data Center Revival (2018-11-30, E-Commerce Times)
- Not All Tech Employees Are Information Tech Employees (2018-08-15, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Microsoft, Facebook, Oracle Among 34 Firms to Join Cybersecurity Tech Accord (2018-04-18, The Guardian USA)
- Atlanta Works to Break Ransomware Hold (2018-03-30, TechNewsWorld.com)
- IT Opportunities in Government Agencies Could Increase Thanks to Modernization Effort
- Ominous Processor Vulnerabilities Could Put Most Computers at Risk
- Tech to Watch in 2018: Cryptocurrency, AI, Wearables
2017 in Tech: The Year of Foreshadowing Big Things to Come
Border Patrol Phone Searches Unconstitutional, Lawsuit Claims
- Telecommunications Jobs with a Security Clearance (2017-10-19, ClearanceJobs.com)
- HBO Cyberattack Driven By
Mysterious Motives (2017-08-04, TechNewsWorld.com)
- Millions May Have Picked Up
FalseGuide Malware at Google Play Store (2017-04-26, TechNewsWorld.com)
- WikiLeaks Exposes CIA's Device
Surveillance Tricks (2017-03-23, ECT News)
IT Certifications Pay Off and What are the Best Certifications to Have?
a Master's Degree Worth the Cost? (2017-02-20, ClearanceJobs.com)
- iPhone Call Logs Easy Pickings
on iCloud, Says Russian Security Firm (2016-11-17, TechNewsWorld.com)
- Tech on TV: A Little Realism
Goes a Long Way (2016-10-27, TechNewsWorld.com)
- Senate Leadership Rebuffs
Cruz's Shutdown Threat Over Internet Control (2016-09-23, TechNewsWorld.com)
for Recruiters (2016-10-12, ClearanceJobs.com)
Resources Cybersecurity (2016-10-19, ClearanceJobs.com)
- WhatsApp Shaves Off a Little
More Privacy (2016-08-25, E-Commerce Times)
- Spies and iPhones - Why the Apple, FBI Showdown Has Been a Long Time Coming (2016-04-17, ClearanceJobs.com)
- Why College Park Doesn't Lead
in Computer Science Education (2016-03-25, Faculty Voice)
- TalkTalk Attacked, Hit With Ransom Demand (2015-10-23, TechNewsWorld.com)
- Ashley Madison could be a sticky honeypot for the military (2015-09-02, Fortune.com)
- Google works to rank sites based on 'truthfulness' (2015-03-05, Fox News)
- Cyber Legislation, Education, and A Healthy Dose of Realism (2015-01-19, Cyber Frontiers)
- Brief Amici Curiae of Experts in Computer Science,
In re: National Security Letter, Under Seal v. Holder
(2014-04-01, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; amicus unsealed 2014-05-30)
- House vote limits NSA data collection, but experts say it won't stop government snooping
- Multi-Disciplinary Approach to Cybersecurity, Security Technologies, and the Privacy Issues Surrounding Us All
(2014-04-19, Cyber Frontiers)
- NSA snoops extend ops to
online games (2013-12-09, E-Commerce Times)
- Judge cuts Google no slack in
wiretap case (2013-09-27, E-Commerce Times)
- What passes for 'business as usual' on this campus can be over the
top (2013-09-26, Fox News) To the Honors Director's assertion "This year,
we learned that it is legal to hunt down and kill American children in Florida." No. It's not.
- Whither Excellence?
(2013-09-21) A 2011 invited essay on our trajectory at College Park that the Faculty Voice will
neither accept, reject, request a revision or explain its silence.
- Cheating is rife in colleges - by admissions officers (2013-08-12, Hyperbolic)
On the smokescreen created by campuses in order to maintain an unjust business-as-usual.
- The expansion of
contingent faculty: Precarious working conditions in the house of intellectual enlightenment (2013-03-30, Faculty Voice)
- Raytheon May Know Where You've Been - and Where You're Going (2013-02-11, TechNewsWorld.com)
- Comments on UM's proposed strategic plan for information technology (2012-11-10)
- Underneath the surface: Some observations on promotion and tenure (2012-10-31, Faculty Voice)
- Maryland's tech education effort does not compute (2012-07-17, Baltimore Sun)
- Brief of Scholars of Economics and Statistics as Amici Curiae in Support of Petitioner, in the matter of Fisher v. Texas (2012-05-29, US Supreme Court)
- Support and opposition dig in as CISPA clears house (2012-04-27, TechNewsWorld.com)
- Guns on college campuses (2011-08-11, C-SPAN Public Affairs Event, National Press Club, Washington DC)
- Activists and politicians discuss the right to carry concealed weapons on college campuses (2011-08-11, Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Conservative media link affirmative action to illegal immigration (2011-05-19, Chronicle of Higher Education)
- University insiders: illegal immigrants get affirmative action (2011-05-17, FoxNews.com)
- The Halperin legacy
(2010-05-17) Years of neglect made the case for merging one declining college with one weak college in hopes of salvaging one winner. This article sketches what an objective review might have found had campus leaders followed their own rules before making new appointments and organizational changes.
- Back in CS -- with personal honor intact (2010)
- State of the CMPS Undergraduate Office: Issues of Today and Recommendations for Tomorrow (2009-09-07) A report that
lays out the history of undergraduate office efforts on behalf of students and what we sought
permission to try in the future.
(Also available is a transmittal
letter which summarizes recommendations given in this report.) See for yourself how
these concerns turned out to be well-justified by later developments, and how many remain issues today in the merged colleges.
- Data woes in CMPS
(2009-08-18) A report to the dean which documents how much the college policy of willful ignorance
on data and analysis costs us in student outcomes.
- To really lie you need Wikipedia (2007) Consumers already know to be wary of random assertions they find on the web. The Wikipedia entry for "John Lott" gives a classic example of why consumers should be not only careful to check the assertions they find on the web, but also the quality and policies of the source.